BetterALife is working to eliminate hunger and food insecurity for local children across Northern Virginia. We believe a child will improve their study habits and increase their opportunities for success by starting their day with a full belly, without the worry of where their next meal will come from. We focus on three programs to give the children a hand up versus a hand out. As we went them to see their success.
- We provide meal bags once per month by going door-to-door in low income communities to make sure no one is missed.
- We provide a food pantry that they can come get food anytime they are hungry. We do not pose any restrictions.
- We host a weekly Homework club on Tuesdays along side the local police department to help the children succeed in School. We help them with homework, job applications, college applications and even pay for the college applications should they need assistance there.
- We provide mentors to give them someone to speak with one 2 one while at the food pantry.
- We host a cooking class once per month at the food pantry. This teaches the children basic life skills on how to use the food at the pantry to make themselves a breakfast or afterschool snack and dinner safely and healthy.